Friday, January 16, 2009

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp


I found this recipe in Cooking Light (September 2008 issue). This is my first time using coconut milk so I wasn't sure how much to tweak the recipe. To play it safe, I just followed the exact recipe and it turned out great. However next time I plan on using a little less than the recommended amount of coconut milk. Also, I think the dish could use a spicy twist. To accomplish this, I ended up sprinkling crushed red pepper. Using fresh jalapeño or Thai chili may also do the trick.

1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon sugar
12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry paste to pan, and sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar; sauté 15 seconds. Add shrimp; sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in green onion and basil.

Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment