Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chicken & Broccoli Teriyaki with a Twist

I wanted to finish the rest of the chicken that I bought for yesterday's meals, so I decided the easy and healthy, yet very mouth-watering chicken teriyaki. I made some minor adjustments to this simple Japanese dish (i.e. I added some vinegar to the sauce and broccoli to the whole dish). Naturally, since I'm Korean and love a bit of kick to food, I threw on some crushed hot red peppers. I think the little touches made it better than just the plain chicken teriyaki I was used to.

2 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 1/2 cup broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
4 teaspoon canola or vegetable or olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon brown sugar
6 tablespoon soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of salt
crushed red pepper (optional)
sesame seed (optional)

1. Heat olive oil in a non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to season chicken. Add to skillet; sauté for 2 1/2 minutes on one side, then flip over. Remove when chicken has lightly cooked through. Cut the chicken into slices.
*A trick I use to save time is to place the chicken turned over in a preheated oven at 350 for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Place 1-inch of water in a small saucepan; add broccoli. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté for 2 minutes until golden brown. Stir in sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
4. Drain the broccoli. Transfer over the chicken and broccoli to the sauce. Toss in the medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Serve over rice (pictured above) or on side. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper and sesame seeds.

Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment