Sunday, May 10, 2009

Skirt Steak Salad


One of the many places I call home is in New Jersey. When I first moved there I thought it was really "the armpit of the US". For 14 months, the people who knew exactly what kind of stress I was going through from shared experience showed me the real beauty of Jersey. I miss my girls...

Of the many wonderful things about living in Jersey and near NYC, the highlight for me was of course... FOOD. :P The one particular food that sticks out in my mind was actually cooked by my friend, Jamie. I asked her for the recipe and now I feel like it's my duty to share it.

Marinating Skirt Steak
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2
2 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar
2 lb inside skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces

1.In a blender, put oil, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar. Puree. In a large heavy duty, zip lock bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Remove Steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Cook on grill to desired done-ness. Once finished cooking, place meat in aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
3. Cut along the grain of meat. Place it on a salad of your choice.

Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
1/4 cup balsamic wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper
2. Serve with a salad. Add minced fresh herbs as desired.

*Note: Jamie added grilled corn to the salad. Really, it tastes so good on any type of salad. I still think it tastes better when Jamie cooked it rather than when I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment